CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Product Review: Cold Sore Cures

I have been stricken by the Cold Sore Monster so much in my lifetime that I rather not reflect on all the no-kissing, don't-drink-after-me, change-your-toothbrush-immediately, my-mouth-hurts-like-hell times. I had those little bastards all over my mouth much more than anyone ever should. Alas, I have tried many products to cure those things, and you can benefit from the mucho dinero that I have spent!

For those of you who were ever in 4-H or FFA or did some horse judging, you will sympathize with one of my cold sore stories - As a high school sophomore, me and my sister were on the State Champion Horse Judging Team that went to nationals. Of course, cold sores (aka fever blisters, canker sores, little bastards) are sometimes brought on by stress, and I was a little tense... OK, a LOT tense. I got not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE cold sores as I prepared to judge in Kentucky.

Pain like that not many people know - to make matters worse, when judging horses, you have to give your reasons for placing the class the way you did to a panel of judges who grade you on your public speaking abilities. When your lips are swollen and ravaged with five fever blisters, it's hard to talk, let alone be good at it. That sucked, but we still placed 8th in the nation!

But back to my product review. I have used many products in my lifetime for this. Today's review is of my two faves - they are amazing.

Aveeno Advanced Relief Cold Sore Treatment
Pros: All natural, makes your lips feel good, no sticky residue (unlike aloe vera), works quickly (if you put it on at the first sight of a sore, no one will even know you have one!)
Cons: Expensive, small amount, the packaging makes you sometimes squeeze out too much without a way to put it back OR you can't get enough out when the tube is almost empty
Grade: A
Price: around $10
Where to buy: drugstores, Target, Wal-Mart, drugstore.com, amazon.com (pack of 2)

C.O. Bigelow Medicated Mentha Lip Remedy
Pros: makes your lips feel great (tingly & wonderful), no sticky residue, works quickly, numbs your lips slightly so you don't feel the pain, smells & tastes delicious, cute & functional packaging, easy application
Cons: Bath & Body Works isn't everywhere
Grade: A+
Price: $9.50, or 3 for $15
Where to buy: Bath & Body Works stores or bathandbodyworks.com (if you buy 3 C.O. Bigelow lip care products, you get them for all for $15!)

Ones that did not work well for me: Herpecin-L, just straight aloe vera (yick), lysine supplements, carmex...

Happy Shopping!

gg

2 comments:

Dana said...

I am starting to swear we could be twins...I get fever blisters constantly!!! When I was younger, before I was smart enough to use anything besides carmex, i spent the majority of my life with my hands over my mouth...or my lips sucked in which caused blood blisters on the inside of my mouth...eeeewwwww. I have had a mouth full of fever blisters more than once (think...senior pictures, big exams, deadlines...a.k.a. stress...) Anyway...I have taken Lysine supplements since about 11th grade (ummm...8 years?!!?) and I am afraid to quit for fear I will have never ending fever blisters. The best thing I have found that works for me is Valtrex...a prescription medication...you take 4 pills when you get the first tingling and the blister never pops through...it's wonderful and you don't have to worry about any creams....also, another prescription medicine (if you don't want to take pills) is Denavir...it is a cream and works pretty good too...I will def. purchase the Aveeno to carry in my purse sense it is cheaper than my co-payment for prescription medications....Thanks for such a helpful blog entry. Also...it feels good to know that I am not the only one living with those horrible monsters that always attack at the WORST possible times!!!

glamour girly said...

I am so glad I am not the only one! I hope the Aveeno stuff works for you. I will have to look at that prescription medicine, too! We just might be twins, separated by birth, who look nothing alike:)